From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:43:36 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:50:40 -0700
From: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: SUMMARY: "Deep web" and "Invisible web" sites for GIS?
Sender: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>

Last week or so I asked for help in locating "Deep Web" or
"Invisible Web" sites of interest to GIS and mapping people.

First of all, for anyone who wants to know more about what the
deep web is and why the big search engines can index only about
1/500 of the content that's out there, see Bright Planet's white
paper on the subject, "The Deep Web: Surfacing Hidden Value" at
http://www.completeplanet.com/Tutorials/DeepWeb/index.asp.

To recap significant links in my original postings, I suggested
that Oddens' Bookmarks at http://oddens.geog.uu.nl/index.html was
a great example of what I was looking for. Roelof Oddens also
mentioned Tony Campbell's excellent History of Cartography site
at http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/.

I've discovered that Google (http://www.google.com) is now
offering both PDF file search as well as topical indexing (for
example, their http://www.google.com/unclesam site is quite good
for finding US govt. resources) Until recently, only
http://searchpdf.adobe.com could read online papers in PDF
format.

Duane Marble pointed out the new site for the GIS Master
Bibliography that he had started back at Ohio State. It's now at
ESRI's Virtual Campus and can be found at
http://campus.esri.com/campus/library/bibliography. The
collection now contains over 9100 searchable citations of
articles from GIS journals, proceedings and reports.

Glenn Letham referred me to the Ultimate GIS Search Engine at
http://search.geocomm.com. This has over 150,000 pages indexed
from the GeoCommunity and DataDepot sites, plus over 2100
hand-picked URLs focused on GIS, GPS, LBS and spatially-oriented
topics. He says that when these are fed to a web spider it
produces a database that takes 5 days to build!

Glenn also thought highly of InfoMine's Maps and GIS INFOMINE
Search Screen at
http://infomine.ucr.edu/search/mapssearch.phtml He adds, "...this
scholarly information resource yields some pretty good search
results. They provide a handy list of recently added sites,  a
comprehensive table of contents, and you have the
ability to search based on title, keyword, or subject."

Christopher Weaver starts at Fast (http://www.alltheweb.com), the
second largest search engine online (after Google), and then just
digs deeper. He also suggested http://www.geocomm.com,
http://www.geoplace.com, http://www.gisportal.com, and
http://www.gislinx.com, although he said the gislinx site needs
updating.

John Hubbard also seconded Oddens' site, and reminded me that the
plain old Internet indexes aren't out of the game yet. He
suggests two from the Open Directory Project that are focused on
GIS and maps:
http://dmoz.org/Science/Social_Sciences/Geography/Geographic_Information_Systems/
http://dmoz.org/Reference/Maps/Libraries/

Jenny Stone Muilenburg described the University of Washington's
Maps/Geographic Information Systems site that provides "links to
online datasets, maps, software, magazines and journals,
tutorials, etc., and ... a starting point for GIS-related
reference questions."

After rooting around some on my own, I've also discovered some
interesting general-topic resources worth a mention. Gary Price's
Direct Search page (a collection of Deep Web resources) at
http://gwis2.circ.gwu.edu/~gprice/direct.htm and the Librarian’s
Index to the Internet at http://www.lii.org are both full of
information (especially Price's.) Also, the Web Brain at
http://www.webbrain.com sports a rather cool "neural net"-looking
java interface. Finally, for a deep site focused like a laser
beam, check out the ANSI Electronic Standards Store at
http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/default.asp, when you
absolutely, positively got to have that standards document and
you don't want to mess around!

Thanks everyone!

- Bill Thoen
GISnet, 1401 Walnut St., Suite C, Boulder, CO  80302
tel: 303-786-9961, fax: 303-443-4856
mailto:[log in to unmask], http://www.ctmap.com/gisnet
--- End Forwarded Message ---