From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:15:09 -0500
Subject:        RE: Historic German Map question
Date:   Tue, 17 Aug 2010 07:34:47 +0100
From:   Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship'

(Not the Answer):

"I am sure that no town index to the Karte des Deutschen Reiches exists.
It is not mentioned in:
Das Reichsamt für Landesaufnahme und seine Kartenwerke. - Berlin : Verl.
des Reichsamts für Landesaufnahme, 1931. - 318, 43 S. : Ill., zahlr. Kt.
+ 3 Kt.-Beil. This work delivers a detailed description of the
publications of the General Staff. Moreover I could not find any
gazetteer to the Karte des Deutschen Reiches in any library.

Best regards

Margit Heumüller
Bayerische Staatsbibliothek"

This was the response of yesterday (Monday) elicited from my enquiry -
on behalf of 'MAPS-L' - to a colleague (whom I know better, but is on
vacation) of Margit Heumueller.

Naturally, I had previously also checked the British War Office's GSGS
gazetteer to the WW2 re-drawn 1:100K mapping of Germany; but these (map
+ gazetteer), perhaps inevitably, introduce a quite different grid
system. So, as regards the German KDR 1:100K series - there's apparently
a compilation job awaiting some lucky students or institution with time
and good will . . .

Francis Herbert