From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:31:37 -0600
Subject:        Re: Fwd: India district shapefile
Date:   Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:58:54 -0500
From:   Tsering W Shawa ([log in to unmask]) <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     Chris Kollen <[log in to unmask]>

Chris,

If you want the 1991 census district boundary of the Indian state of Pubjab you can download free from this site http://na.unep.net/datasets/datalist.php
However, the Punjab district boundaries were changed in 2001 census. In 1991 there were 13 districts and in 2001 there were 18. The 2001 district boundaries that we have comes from a commercial company. We have purchased all district boundaries of India starting from 1951 census. If need the company name let me know.

The best elevation data a free of cost is SRTM data (90 meters). You can download from this site http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SELECTION/inputCoord.asp

Punjab is a pretty flat state...you may not see much variation in elevation expect in the north and the east part of the state bordering the state of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir.

Thanks,
-Wangyal

Tsering Wangyal Shawa
Geographic Information Systems Librarian
Head, Digital Map and Geospatial Information Center
Peter B. Lewis Library
Fine Hall Wing, B-Level, Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544
Phone: (609) 258-6804
Fax: (609) 258-4607
www.princeton.edu/~geolib/gis