From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Buelow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 16:01:22 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 22:00:12
>From: John Buelow <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: response to cataloging question

Ten responses to this morning's cataloging question were received off-list.
 All parties favored the creation of an index map, though none suppossed
that it would need a separate record.  Most suggested a brief 500 note
referring to this supplementary map; one suggested a 300$e for accompanying
material; which works only because a manuscript is by definition a unique
item.

The nifty idea of storing the index map in a mylar envelope taped to the
*outside* of the storage folder is surely worth mentioning.

The placement of supplementary coordinate information for each sheet was a
bit controversial.  In this case, it is necessary: I simplified my problem
too much in asking the original question.  The complete map will in
actuality fill about 40 sheets not 12, and I have found only 7 of these so
far.  Because I can't be sure that the rest will turn up, I need to specify
what coverage I do have.

Given the need for such otherwise superfluous information, there seems to
be a slight preference for placing the note on the bibliographic record,
where it will be immediatly obvious to readers needing to determine
coverage.  Placement in the holdings fields would of course aid circulation
staff, but as these are rare and fragile items, the reader's interest
probably should take priority.  If we can avoid pulling the whole set when
only one or two maps is required, that is worth the extra typing.

John

--- End Forwarded Message ---