From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:29:51 -0600
Subject:        Re: Wikimedia Commons Atlas of the World
Date:   Sat, 31 Jan 2009 05:29:47 -0800 (PST)
From:   Craig Haggit <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I would agree that no collaborative setup like a wiki would ever satisfy
everyone's definition of "credible" but there is a need for a resource
like this. The Wikipedia Commons Atlas does have a decent selection of
basic maps, though I was surprised and disappointed by its lack of depth.

Just last week I actually soft-launched a site I'm working on called
Cartoko. It's similar to the Commons Atlas in the sense that it's a wiki
full of maps, but my goal is to provide something that goes into more
depth and provide more means to let the user judge for themselves if a
map is reliable, as well as to let the map community add information and
connections between maps and their sources and subject matter.  The map
might come from a book (in which case the map itself might not even BE
on the site for copyright reasons), GIS data, scanned images, link to
external maps or geospatial data, etc. It's a little more complicated
than that, but that's the gist of it. The site is http://www.cartoko.com
if you want to take a look.

Right now you'll likely find a lot of empty areas, but there are only
two of us working on it at the moment and we're trying to set it up
properly. If anyone is interested in helping develop this resource, I'd
be more than happy to assist in any way I can. Basic tools are there
already, but the real potential could only be realized if a lot people
participate of course.

Craig Haggit