From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia R. Hetrick
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:05:03 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:35:51 -0700
From: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sounds like a bay to me (or maybe it bays a sound at me) ;-)
Sender: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>

Howdy, everybody who ever spent the summer in the Office of Geography
working for Dr. Burrill (anybody on this list from summer, 1962, French
or Cuban gazeteers?)-

I'd be willing to wager a small sum of money (maybe as much as 8 or 9
cents) on the fact that Puget Sound is Puget Sound because that's what
George Vancouver named it (Puget's being the surname of the Discovery's
lieutenant).

I kinda don't think George was involved in the naming of San Francisco
Bay or the Chesapeake Bay on account of there's no discussion of either
in his logs as best I can recall.

Also, there're terms used with Puget Sound and the Chesapeake Bay that's
not used with San Francisco Bay.  The terms are "upsound" and "upbay".
What was confusing to me when I was a kid was that "upsound" was south.
However, the terminology is derived from the same origin as the term
"upriver" (I learned that from Dr. B. :-) and so can only be used when a
"bay-like" or "sound-like" body of water which can be traversed in only
one direction from its entrance.  Technically, although I think the
northern part of the body of water is not CALLED San Francisco Bay (at
least looking at the names on maps in several atlases at hand the name
always appears south of the Bay Bridge and no part extends north of the
Bridge), you can navigate both northeast and southsoutheast from the
entrance to the bay.

FYI - In my first close encounter with toponomy (which I didn't know it
was until the summer of 1962),I wrote a paper on this in 9th grade
Washington State history and got the first "A" the teacher was known, in
living memory, to have given to a freshman.  Also, being from Port
Townsend, named after the Duke of Townshend, for whom the Townshend Acts
were also named, it's almost a genetic thing that you know all the stuff
named as a result of Vancouver's voyage, such as Discovery Bay, Quimper
Peninsula, Hood (not Hood's) Canal, Whidbey Island, Deception Pass,
Bainbridge Island, etc.  ;-)

Finally, if you'd like to see the view from Bainbridge Island, click on
my site of the month below.

Is that more than you ever wanted to know? ;-)

vh
--
\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
 0      Voicemail:  310.471.1766  Email:  [log in to unmask]