From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:11:45 -0500
Subject: Re: KAPPA Map Group LLC - umbrella - map publishing
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:07:42 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>
CC: <[log in to unmask]>

On Mar 14 2012 09:27 am, Angie Cope, American Geographical Society
Library, UW Milwaukee wrote:

> There is another company that Russell did not mention, G.M Johnson,
> based in British Columbia, but separate from ITMB.  They seem to be
> expanding their line, and look to have acquired some Universal
> series,
> such as a Michigan regional series, and a Wisconsin series.  They may
> have acquired some that Rand McNally is no longer publishing.  So
> another maps hub is in the Vancouver area of BC.

Johnson is a cartography firm that has done some self-publishing. The
artwork he "got back" was probably his to begin with. This is yet
another wrinkle for you cataloguers. How to deal with companies like
Seeger and Johnson who both publish under their own label and under
other publishers' labels while consistently maintaining their own
copyright. It is a tangled web we weave...

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps
http://www.hedbergmaps.com
(don't forget us!)