From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:17:15 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:10:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: List of countries <fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

Here's how I would handle the historical aspect of this listing, and the
conundrums of defining a country.

First, I would decide on my own definition of what constitutes a
"country".  The two concepts I know of are "nation" and "sovereign state".
The first can encompass a larger number of entitities, including colonies
and protectorates and autonomous areas, than can the latter.  Since either
could be valid but yield different results, a decision should be made by
the one who wants the list compiled.

Second, a method of compiling the lists could be to use world atlases from
various periods of time.  For recent past times, not only the CIA World
Factbook, but the lists of member states published by the United Nations
can help for the period from 1945.  The Europa Year Book is another tool,
that goes back, I think, farther than 1945.  Old Times Atlases of the
World, historical atlases, and other tools could provide interesting
comparisons.  The atlases would be essential for non-sovereign
entitities.  Members of the Universal Postal Union presents another
method.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---