From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 14:13:29 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:17:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Thesaurus for Geographic Infomration Systems? <fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]

I can see three possible categories of subject matter that might need
standard forms to describe.  Two I know about, one I don't.

First is geographic names.  The USGS Geographic Names server can handle
U.S. names.  The same main site gives links to name servers for names for
other countries and areas.  There is a printed source, Columbia Gazeteer
of the World, 3 volumes, 1998, that covers much of this.  There are also
the volumes of the U.S. Gazeteer, and a multi-volume set of world
gazeteers, all from the U.S. Board of Geographic Names.

Geophysical and geomorphological subjects, that is about land forms,
geological processes, etc.  There is a printed work, several years old but
not out of date.  The Encyclopedia of Geomorphology, Rhodes W. Fairbridge,
editor, 1968.  Major library collections should have this.

Subjects unique to GIS and electronic formats of information.  There
probably are some tools for this, at least one of which is becoming an
accepted standard.  For that, I would like to know its title, or URL, as
well.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
International Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---