From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:55:19 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L Digest - 30 Sep 2009 to 1 Oct 2009 (#2009-187)
Date:   Tue, 6 Oct 2009 07:33:57 -0700
From:   LizP <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Dear MAPS-L,

Regarding AtoZMapsOnline, I heard that at least a few academic libraries
have picked it up, including community colleges.

I bought this database for my smallish, busy suburban public library for
a very reasonable price. I don't have a map collection, and no space for
one, so it can help out in a sector that our library is very weak in. I
don't know if I would recommend it for everyone, but many of my patrons
have little idea of what's available for free online and appreciate some
help in finding stuff. It gives me another tool to help middle and high
school students that need more maps that CultureGrams or WorldBook can
give them (or even Perry-Casteneda - thanks to our friends in TX). The
addition of Zoomify for many types of content and the downloadable PDFs
are very accessible for them to try out.

WorldTrade Press continues to add content (including linked USGS index
maps, antique bible maps, and the like) every week it seems. So, we're
giving it a try. (And, for those of you that know me, my supervisor
liked it too, so it's not just because I'm a map enthusiast that we
signed up :-) )

For what it's worth -

Liz Paulus
Reference Librarian / Adult Services
Cedar Mill Community Library
Portland, OR 97293
http://cedarmill.org/library
Part of WCCLS - www.wccls.org <http://www.wccls.org>

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Automatic digest processor