From:
John Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:46:19 EST
We have been labeling the front of the jewel boxes with a foil backed
label. We have assigned all of the titles in this series the number
"CD-ROM 600", with the coordinates number below the CD-ROM number.
We include the SuDocs number, date received, and word "depository" on
another foil label inside the case.  The two labels are placed so that
they are back to back.  Our library interfiles depository and comercially
produced CD-ROM titles. When stored in cabinets, we find the USGS printed
labeling on the edge to pull the appropriate CD useful.

The one complaint that we've had from staff members with USGS CD-ROMs is
that the edge labeling is set up so that when these are placed in
cabinets, the bottom of the jewel box faces forward if the spine title is
readable.  It's not a big deal with a major series, but with assorted DDS
files, it is annoying.

John Stevenson
University of Delaware Library