From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:23:40 -0500
Subject:        Re: [MAPS-L] display maps in instruction rooms
Date:   Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:03:38 -0500
From:   Barbara Levergood <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Thank you all for your ideas about how to hang maps for use during
instruction sessions! You folks are great! For posterity, I am
summarizing for the list.

Barbara

+++++++++++++++++++++++

On 6/9/2010 8:39 AM, Angie Cope wrote:
> [...]

+++++++++++++++++++++++

I use the black binder clips as well. be sure to use some packing
material or other padding to prevent physical damage to the map. You can
also use the binder clips to temporarily attache the map to a piece of
foam core or poster board and use the loops on the clips to suspend
things via picture wire.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

We often do that when we go to public meetings or outreach events.
Binder clip the map to foam core and then set the map on a collapsible
easel for audience viewing.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Another method is to use the black binder clips on the edge of the map
and hook the silver part of the black binder clip over the head of some
push pins in a bulletin board or cork strip. Alternatively, if your
white board (or the edge of it) are magnetic, you can use magnets or
magnetic clips.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

You can also use the binder clips by clipping them to the map and then
hanging the "arms" of the clip on a pushpin in the wall or any other
type of hook. If the maps are fragile, we put some cardstock around the
edge of the map where we attach the clip.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

How about covered magnets? I like the ones that are sold for hanging
wreaths on doors during the holidays since they have a rubberized
coating and a good grip. They might be available at a hobby store; I
usually buy a bunch when they're on closeout at the grocery store after
the holidays.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

I just returned from our annual NEMO meeting (held at the Osher Map
Library, Univ. of South Maine, Portland). Their conference/instruction
room has steel whiteboards. They can "hang" maps with coated magnet
strips. They add to this, something I've found helpful; mylar sheets to
put over the map while it is attached to the wall (if you don't have
magnet option, make a mylar "envelope" to hold the map, which can be
attached using tape, or tacks, pins, etc. depending on your surface--put
map inside the mylar envelope and damage the mylar edges instead of the
map).

I've also used something like this in the office to temporarily "hang" a
map up for viewing, especially when cataloging a map (my office has one
free wall, which is a window. I clip the mylar envelope to window frame,
or tape to glass, with map inside).

+++++++++++++++++++++++

If you're lucky, the whiteboards will allow for magnets to be used. If
you google "rare earth magnets" you should be able to find some that
will hold maps up with no problem. Also, depending on your budget, and
the bureaucracy that you are working with, you can buy special paint
that allows you to "magnetize" your walls. It looks like regular white
paint, but has metallic properties. Our digitization center in the
library uses this paint (and magnets) to hang maps, posters, etc. on a
wall for photography.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

The slickest method that I have seen is a set of plexiglass that have
been attached to a wall with strips of wood. You can slip the map behind
the plexiglass. This was used at an institution that used to have map
assignments to preserve the maps. The professor who hung the plexiglass
used a router to build a frame for the plexiglass and then screwed them
into the wall. He also had a frame piece to attach to the top that he
would screw into place so the maps would not disappear.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Suggestions of a couple products to hang maps without impact or defacing
of map. There are other options of hanging maps from the "Map Mounting
Hardware" section of website www.mymapman.com

TrapEase Rails for easy clip in and strong holding;
http://www.mymapman.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=115&category_id=23&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58

To mount a sheet/paper map into a "pull down" roller system w/ clear
overlay for easy inserting and removal.
http://www.mymapman.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=77&category_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58

+++++++++++++++++++++++

--
Barbara Levergood
Government Information and Cartographic Resources Librarian

++

"Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the
general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a
government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public
opinion should be enlightened."

Washington's Farewell Address to the People of the United States. S.
Doc. 106-21.