Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 08:40:16 -0600
Subject:        Over 1,000 Historical Topographic Maps for Google Earth
Date:   Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:41:13 -0800
From:   Matt Fox <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I've recently completed a huge update on my collection of historical
USGS topographic maps for Google Earth.  There are now over 1,000
historic topo maps available dating from late 1800s through 1970s.
The vast majority of these are for Western US right now, but I have
1,000's more from other areas of the US that I hope to eventually get
around to adding.

Simply open this small network link file with Google Earth.

http://www.gelib.com/maps/Topos/Topos_nl.kml

Turn on the index for the map scale you're interested in (7'x7',
30'x30', etc.) to see outlines of each map.  When you find the map you
want to view click on the placemark in the center of the outline which
will open up a pop up window with list of available maps.  Click on
the year of the map you want to view and the map will appear overlayed
onto Google Earth.  These are SuperOverlays and will increase in
resolution as you zoom in.  I'm only about 3/4 way through the
California 7 1/2' maps, so some of those aren't working quite yet.

More information on this collection can be found here.
http://www.gelib.com/historic-topographic-maps

I think it would be great to involve other parties in this collection,
so if anyone is interested in contributing, let me know.  It's easy
for me to add more maps to this collection.  The only time consuming
process is the georeferencing.

Matt Fox