From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:52:08 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: online digital collections THANKS!
Date:   Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:22:29 EDT
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

I gave Zoomifyer a quick test, and have some reservations about it.   It does
not seem to work with JPEG2000 images, although it works fine with  JPEG.

For some reason I was not able to get it to work on my server, although it
reads files well enough on my desktop.  On the file I was working with, I
could not get it to zoom in as much as I wished, even on my desktop.  I  think I
have seen this problem of limited zooming capabilities on some other  sites
that use Zoomifyer.  These may be technical glitches that can be  easily dealt
with, but I am not sure how to go about fixing them.  Dave  Broer's test image
looks good to me.

As far as I am concerned, there is still a need for a service bureau that
will serve JPEG2000 images at a cost that is affordable for individuals and
small libraries.

David Allen
La Mesa, CA