From:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:32:48 EST
At 17:43 07/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Last night I was working on a project with some friends who are NOT
>oriented to anything geographical (three of them are salespeople, one is a
>bank examiner, one runs a pre-school).  We were talking about getting
>Christmas/Hannukah presents and one lady mentioned she'd seen a globe for
>sale that was "anatomically correct".  That gave me the giggles and I
>thought you guys would like it too.  Of course, what she meant was that the
>globe had a relief surface with  mountains and valleys rather than the
>usual smooth surface that many globes have.  She has actually bought one
>for her four-year-old extremely precocious nephew.  ;-)

Except, of course, it was NOT "anatomically correct", unless either (a) it
was an incredibly large globe indeed; or (b) the world's mountains have
shot up significantly since I last looked! In scale terms, the height of
even Mount Everest, or the Mariana Trench, would be less than the regular
production irregularities found on the surface of a globe the diameter of
a ten-pin bowling ball. So what she bought was not "anatomically correct",
but rather a cartographic example of the type of anatomical exaggeration
we males are invariably characatured (mostly by the female of the species!)
as exhibiting!

Don't you just hate a pedant? :-)

Regards

Darius
Darius Bartlett                                             Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                              Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                      Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                                Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                               Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Internet: [log in to unmask]          WWW: http://www.ucc.ie:80/ucc.depts/geography
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....