From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:28:17 -0500
Subject:        Re: Print Versus Online Gazetteer Preferences
Date:   Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:21:51 -0400
From:   John A Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Doug,

Users may prefer GNIS and GEOnet to printed "dumps" of names and
coordinates. Gazetteers which offer superseded place names or more
insights help answer questions which the printed coordinate don't. For
example, UD's library uses a printed 1966 gazetteer in Reference even
though the USGS may consider it superseded. The scanned version of this
gazetteer reveals far more than place names and coordinates:
http://genealogyud.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/usgs.pdf The entry for
"Blue Ball" in the printed gazetteer is a lot more useful an interesting
that the entry in GNIS:

Blue Ball
<http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=154:3:1611718497490437::NO:3:P3_FID,P3_TITLE:216043%2CBlue%20Ball>

        216043  Populated Place         New Castle      DE      394638N         0753241W        292
Wilmington North        -       02-AUG-1979

John A. Stevenson
Associate Librarian
Coordinator, Government Documents and Maps Processing Unit
University of Delaware Library
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717-5267
302 831-8671