Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 14:57:11 EDT
The following pubs may have some relevance to the T/R Lat/Lon problem.
U.S.C&GS did separate volumes for western states, and they may still nbe
listed in the NOS successor pubs list (but i couldn't find it).  Larry
Cruse

1. Atlas of state plane-coordinates zones & UTM zones : western region /
U.S.
Dept. of the Interior, Geological Survey, National Cartographic
Information Center.  Menlo Park, CA : U.S. Dept. of the Interior,
Geological Survey, National Cartographic Information Center (NCIC),
[1984?].

2. Claire, Charles Niles, 1907-
State plane coordinates by automatic data processing, by Charles N.
Claire.  [Washington] U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Environmental Science
Services Administration, Coast and Geodetic Survey; for sale by the
Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1968.
Series title:  Publication (U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey) ; 62-4.

3. Stoughton, Herbert W.
State plane coordinates : (1927 NAD and 1983 NAD) / by Herbert W.
Stoughton.  2nd ed.  [s.l.]  : H.W. Stoughton, 1981.
Series title:  Geodetic engineering surveying computations and data
adjustment ; v. 10.

I doubt a formula could be written that would make the
conversion you desire, since T/R is based on ground surveys
(e.g. "so many feet due south from such and such a rock or
tree") and lat/lon is based on geometry (hence subject to
change depending on the model of the earth used (e.g. NAD29
or NAD83).  But, if you are sufficiently versed in GIS you
could set up a query that would return the T/R (down to
whatever level of subdivision you wanted) for a given
lat/lon, or give the lat/lon of the centroid or corner point
(your choice) of a given T/R.  The details of how to set
this up are beyond my feeble skills, and would vary
according to your software.  In any case you would need the
digital files for the T/R discussed elsewhere in this
thread.

Mike Flannigan wrote:

> I'm somewhat of a novice.  I have the 1995 GNIS data.  This data gives
> latitude and longnatude of listed features on topographic maps (and
> perhaps more).  My question is: is there a way to convert latitude and
> longnatude to township, range, and subdivision and vice versa?

Andrew McIntire       (508)457-2352
USGS                  [log in to unmask]
Woods Hole, MA        http://coast-enviro.er.usgs.gov