From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John M Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:37:02 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:54:52 -0500
From: John M Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Large Map Collection Available for Donation - CA focus
Sender: John M Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All,

The following is forwarded for Lary Dilsaver, Dept. of Earth
Sciences, University of South Alabama.   If your library is interestred in
the collection, please contact
Lary Dilsaver at [log in to unmask]

Thanks.

John Anderson
LSU

---Begin forwarded text---------
A close friend of mine who was a lifelong map collector died last March. He
estimated his collection at more that 250,000 maps. Before he died, he
asked
me to make sure that the maps got into a university collection somewhere on
the west coast, preferably in California. The collection consists primarily
of topographic maps, mainly in the West. He estimated that he had 75%
coverage of California, 45% of the rest of the West, and a mix of other
states at 1:24,000. In addition, he had many 1:62,500 sheets and complete
coverage of the US at 1:100,000.
     The collection also includes numerous land use, geological, and other
topical and regional maps, many of them rolled. Finally, there are hundreds
of road maps for the US and other countries and a complete set of ca.1970
1:50,000 topo maps of West Germany
     There is essentially two stipulations. First, they must take the
entire collection. I do not want to get into a situation where I must
divide
this enormous collection into components to send to ten different places.
They are free to keep what they want and dispose of the rest or pass them
on
to another institution. It would also be helpful if they could pick them
up.
They are currently in storage in Fremont, California (I'm in Alabama so
this
is not an easy task for me). Second, they must acknowledge in the library
that they hold the Ronald J. Allen collection. This is a remarkable
opportunity for some library to dramatically augment its map holdings at
virtually no cost.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. I will
be traveling to California tomorrow to move the maps into storage and I
will
have a better idea of the collection when I return in early August. This
e-mail address will go dead in a week so please contact me at
<[log in to unmask]>. Best wishes--Lary Dilsaver, Dept. of Earth
Sciences, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL 36688--(251) 460-6381.
--- End Forwarded Message ---