Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:07:22 -0500
Subject:        Re: Library school recommendations
Date:   Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:40:22 -0400
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Pratt Institute in New York offers a graduate library degree program
(http://www.pratt.edu/school_of_information_library_science), and for the
last several years, our chief, Alice Hudson, has taught their summer course
in map librarianship (maybe 5 or 6 Saturdays through July and early
August).  In their program, students can also develop a practicum for
credit, coordinated with a local library, such as NYPL.  We have had
student volunteers from Pratt, as well as students doing practicums for
credit here.  Also, Alice has developed a pretty hands-on curriculum for
her class, so we on the staff of the Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map
Division get to know her students each summer, and they always seem to be a
great group of people with a range of ages and backgrounds.

Nancy A. Kandoian
Map Cataloger
The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division
The New York Public Library
5th Ave. & 42nd St.
New York, NY  10018-2788

phone 212-930-0586; fax 212-930-0027