From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:10:44 -0400
Subject: RE:  Scale statement in cataloging maps
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:35:51 -0600
From: Ken Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
-------- Original Message --------
>When a map is not drawn to scale, for example, a pictorial map, the 255
field says "Scale not given." and then a 500 note can quote a statement
on the map or simply say "Map not drawn to scale."
Is that correct?
And, saying in the 255 field "Map not drawn to scale" is not correct.
>Is that correct??

A: In 255, say "Not drawn to scale" for those like pictorial maps that
weren't attempting to portray the map strictly by a uniform scale.  Say
"Scale not given" when it's evidently of a regular, but unknown, scale.

>Also, do we in the US say "Scales differ" or do we only say "Scales
vary?"

A: "Scales differ" is the proper wording for items with 3 or more
different scales.  "Scales vary" is an old habit that keeps on living by
imitation of old records dating from when a standard wording hadn't been
established.  Let's finally put it to rest.

"Scale varies" is used for single maps that change their scale at a
continuous ratio.  Some such maps state that their scale is 1:x at the
center and 1:y at the margin, in which case one gives the range of
scales, e.g., "Scale 1:x-1:y."  When the map scale is of this type but
not stated, that's when "Scale varies" is used--but never "Scales vary"
unless an item has more than two of these maps.

I hope this is clear...

--Ken Rockwell