From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:41:14 -0500
Subject: NYPL digital maps of the Middle Atlantic region
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:39:11 -0500
From: "ahudson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

------------------
Dear Mapsters,

I invite you to check out the Map Division's little digital collection
of
Middle Atlantic maps, and maps of North America, USA and the World, also
Western Hemisphere, that show the Middle Atlantic region in NYPL's
Digital
Collections. You can get to this from the url below, or from our
www.nypl.org web page under Digital Collections, then Browse, then click
on
the map near the bottom of your screen [you may have to scroll down].

The "American Shores: Maps of the Middle Atlantic Region to 1850" site
was
funded by NEH. Once on the site, you will see highlighted a sampling of
maps from the 1000+ which were conserved, cataloged and scanned during
2000-2002. The entire collection you can get to by clicking on the
"Browse
this collection" button at upper right. On the American Shores site,
among
the sampling of maps there, you can pan and zoom for greater detail. So
far
this does not seem to apply to the larger collection, but I am
investigating that...

It is all still under construction to some extent [I keep seeing things
fix!] but I would like you all to know it is there, and would appreciate
any input you have.

Much of the site is designed and under the control of NYPL's web design
folk, and the scanning was handled in our digital lab. Map division
staff
selected the maps and cataloged them, and composed descriptive text.
Over
the next few months we will continue to polish this thing, but I want
you
all to know it is there and use it at will.

Enjoy!

http://www.nypl.org/research/midatlantic/

Alice

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
                  under whose shade you do not expect to sit.
                                                              - Nelson
Henderson