From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 06:02:23 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Chieko Maene" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:32:22 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: Maps of Wheat Cultivation in Tanzania

Don't know if you came across these but,

http://www.fao.org/landandwater/agll/agromaps/interactive/page.jspx

FAO Agro-MAPS offers area summary/aggregated crop data at admin 1 level
by crop type, including wheat, between 1991 and 2001 (plus unknown "most
recent" year) for Tanzania. If you need spatial & boundary data to match
with the data table, you can perhaps get that from either (1) FAO -
Africover, or (2) USGS Africa Data Dissemination Service, Digital Map
Data, or (3) GADM (http://www.maplibrary.org/stacks/gadm/index.php)

To find more specific wheat cultivated area, I guess s/he can use
Landsat (though 2003-present images have a sensor problem, i.e. SLC-off
effects) and then perform classification analysis - kind of like
creating USDA/NASS CDL (cropland data layer) dataset, which I've never
done. AWiFS (http://earth.esa.int/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=1659) is
another data source mentioned in various cropland analysis papers - but
it doesn't look like the data is freely available. Too bad -

Chieko

--
Chieko Maene, MS, MLIS
Maps & State Documents Librarian