From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:08:25 -0500
----- Forwarded message from Dave Broer <[log in to unmask]> -----
    Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:35:08 -0400
    From: Dave Broer <[log in to unmask]>
  Subject: online digital collections THANKS!
      To: [log in to unmask]

Thanks for all the wonderful replies that I received about putting a
digital collection online.  While I have not found  a full packaged
solution that is within my budget, I have some ideas on how I will
proceed.  My thoughts are to combine a couple of different existing
solutions.

First, I like the zoomify program as it helps keep down the bandwidth
and prevents leaching of the digital images that I will provide to
anyone who asks anyway, I just want to know who has them if I am going
to have a large online collection.

Second, I have found a way to use existing photo gallery software with
the zoomify program.  So, I can use this as the gateway to browse and
search through the collection and use zoomify to limit the bandwidth
that is used to view the images.  I can nest as many 'galleries' as I
need to regionalize and localize the maps that I will be putting online.

I put one of my map images online at :
http://www.broermaps.org/zoomifytst/Template.htm so I could see how it
works and how the maps would look.  I think it works very well.  If you
want to see a test gallery of my maps (just the full size image as I
haven't 'zoomified' these maps yet), you can see them here:
http://www.broermaps.org/applications/Gallery/

What I like about this combination is that it accomplishes what I'm
looking to do and utilizes open source/free solutions.  Does anyone
foresee any major problems outside of the time consuming task of putting
them online?

Thanks again for all your help!

Dave Broer
Broer Map Library