From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 14:02:53 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:16:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: "Doubly-landlocked countries" (fwd)

I have to agree with the respondent who suggested that this term really
has meaning for quizzes.  The borders Tajijistan and Kirghizstan share
with China are farther from the sea than the borders with Afghanistan are!

As for Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan, that some have proposed.  They share
borders with Russia, so they would have theoretical access to the Black
Sea or the Arctic Ocean.  Pacific Ocean is farther away through Russia
than it would be through several borders to the Indian Ocean.

The point is that however many borders removed from an open sea a country
is, if it does not have such a frontier it depends upon the good will of
neighbors to fly over or traverse its neighbors to reach the sea.
Distance can be as great a barrier as multiple borders.  And a short
distance if it includes the Pamirs, Himalayas and Karakorum mountains
might be the greatest barrier of all.

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
International Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA