From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 16:53:29 EST
2 messages.--------Johnnie

>Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 23:00:17 -0800
>From: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fire call maps

Well, for starters, I'm only 55 and I was at least 10 when I last saw
the list for my home town, maybe as ancient as 12 or 13.

The map was at the fire house.  The map had dots for the fire hydrants
in the built-up part of town and places where the pumper could pump in
the un-built-up areas.

Each of the firemen had a list of watering holes (as it were) and the
main places that people figured were likely to have need of the fire
dudes.  As I recall, it was on a piece of stiff paper (complete with a
union label) about 4" x 2" and had around 25-30 places listed on it.
All the firemen had one in their house, business, car, and truck.  The
alarm was given by a fire bell on the bluff just south of Jefferson
Street on Taylor Street.

Anything else you need to know?  ;-)

vh
--
\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in NOT sunny California
 0      Bellnet:  310.206.7588

>Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 09:56:42 -0600
>Subject: Re: fire call maps
>From: [log in to unmask] (Diane L Oswald)

Arlyn,

When scanning Sanborn company newsletters while researching my book,
"Fire Insurance Maps, Their History and Applications," I came ac cross a
note about fire departments purchasing the fire insurance maps to help
locate the hard-to-find buildings. Is this what you are referring to? If
so, I can try to find the reference again in the 900+ pages of newsletter
that I have. Let me know.

Diane L. Oswald
Author: "Fire Insurance Maps, Their History and Applications"

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]