Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:42:53 -0500
Subject:        Re: Folded vs. flat
Date:   Tue, 9 Oct 2007 15:31:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:   Drew Laughland <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

We have stored our travel maps in hanging folders for
many years but recently started a project to integrate
the travel maps with the rest of the map collection.

We have a pretty strong preference for limiting the
number of different item locations and so did not want
to file the covers with information separately from
the maps themselves or keep the folded maps in a
separate file. (Plus the travel maps are not cataloged
so it would be difficult to match the cover back to
the map.)

To get around the problem of covers catching on other
maps we are placing the unfolded map with its cover
into mellinex (mylar) L-folders. This protects the map
and keeps the cover or index handy. Even the little
Falk maps can be stored flat if they are in mylar.  It
is easy to pull the map out of the folder, if
necessary.

The folders do take up a little more room in the map
drawers but so far that hasn't been an issue.

The folders are quite expensive if you buy them all
made up. We have student assistants making them in the
preservation lab which brings the cost to a reasonable
level.

-- Drew Laughland
   GIS Lab Assistant
   Rotch Library, MIT