From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:22:19 EDT
This message is from Elizabeth Mangan at Library of Congress.------Johnnie

>Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 08:08:00 -0400
>From: Elizabeth U Mangan <[log in to unmask]>

IS ANYONE OUT THERE -- INPUT NEEDED BY JUNE 23, 1998

Although I posted this request about a month ago I have not as yet received a single reply.  Does
anyone care about the NIMA (formally DMA) coding system for geopolitical entities?

I have been consulting with NIMA on the conversion of their bibliographic and map production data
to USMARC format for a newly acquired ILS.  In the process only one series of data elements were
identified as needing accommodation in USMARC, the coding system used to identify the geographic
area covered.

The primary source for this information if FIPS 10-4 (Countries, dependencies, areas of special
sovereignty, and their principal administrative divisions) which is available online
(http://www.nist.gov/itl/div897/pubs/fip10-4.htm).  For water bodies and non-sovereign geographic
areas, NIMA maintains "Water body reference data set," a two character alpha-numeric code list,
which is also available online (http://diides.ncr.disa.mil/shade/shade.html) and a code list for
non-water bodies which they have agreed to make available online.  Additionally, when the
geographic area is a populated place, NIMA codes the country from FIPS 10-4 and also records the
place name, as approved by BGN.

It seems that because these codes and place names are used in naming the sheets of NIMA's
publications, the codes are recognized and understood by many who work with maps.  Additionally,
because of the level of cooperation between many national mapping agencies, most related to the
defense community, this coding system could be identified as U.S. Department of Defense or perhaps
Defense agencies is a broader concept is appropriate and applicable.

The entire proposal, 98-14, to be presented to MARBI during ALA annual meeting is available online
on the MARC standards page at LC  <http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/98-14.html>.

Please let me know you opinion on this proposal.  How widely is this geographic coding system used
or recognized?  Is this same system used in other countries?  As USMARC becomes more universal
(UMARC) are there other coding systems for geographic area that should be accommodated?

While I am interested in everyone's thoughts on this, I am especially interested in comments from
non-US MAPS-L subscribers.  You can respond to me personally ([log in to unmask]), or to the list.

Elizabeth U. Mangan
Head Technical Services Section
Geography and Map Division
Library of Congress