From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1993 17:12:58 EDT
Here are f messages concerning the old chart question.------Johnnie

              Mon, 05 Apr 93 15:27:44 EST
              David Cobb <DCOBB@HARVARDA>
              Re: Old Charts

We have several of these (several!) and use the 1890 Catalogue of Charts and
Other Publications produced by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. Despite
their being out-of-date a of no value for navigation they are valuable
historical documents in and of themselves. We are considering cataloging those
indvidual   charts for the local New England waters as I believe it would
make them much more accessible and useful for our patrons and ourselves.

David A. Cobb
Harvard Map Collection

              Mon, 05 Apr 93 16:15:12 EDT
              Gwen Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
              Re: Old Charts

I have a 1977 edition of NOAA's Nautical Chart Number Conversion Table that
might help you to decipher the numbers.

Gwen Curtis
Map Collection
University of Kentucky Libraries
Lexington, KY 40506-0039
(606) 257-1853

         Re: Old Charts
      Mon, 05 Apr 93 13:38:38 -0700

What 2 map collections I've worked at have done is to give the
old charts the new numbers (followed by edition number).  The
pamphlet with numbers translated from old to new that USC&GS
put out at the time of the changeover is extremely helpful for
doing this.  Also, the general principle at UCSB is "Till your
own garden;" so we keep old editions of CA-coast sheets, but
heartlessly toss anything else in the USC&GS series.  For
foreign nautical charts, we've tended to keep old editions,
filed at the appropriate charts number (probably because
we have far fewer of these).  We've tended to keep old
editions of DMA/HO charts, not knowing who's keeping them;
but (if I'm remembering correctly), we don't necessarily keep
all editions, perhaps one every ten years.
Mary Larsgaard, UCSB

      Tue, 6 Apr 1993 11:20 EDT
      SUSAN GOODMAN <[log in to unmask]>
         Re: Old Charts

There is a 1971 publication titled NUMERICAL LISTING OF CHARTS,
published by the U.S. Naval Oceanographic
Office converting old chart numbers to new chart numbers.  The
publication is arranged by chart series. It's N.O.Pub. No. 1-N-L.
It's 68 oversized pages and I only have 1 copy in my
library or else I would offer you an extra copy.  It has two listings:
New N.O. chart numbers to old chart numbers and old chart numbers to
new.  I checked on your example and old #5984 is listed as new #18185.
If this is the same map, then maybe the new # was correct in 1971 and
has since changed.  Does anyone have more info about this discrepancy.

The librarian who was in charge of the map collection before I got here
renumbered the charts so that they were all in one numerical
arrangement.  I haven't really used this listing very much.

Susan

Susan Goodman
Library of Science & Medicine
Rutgers University