From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:18:22 -0500
Subject: Soil Survey Cataloging
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 07:50:15 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

------------------
      Here is a question for people who know a lot more about cataloging
than I do.   What is considered best practice for cataloging soil maps
and
soil surveys?  Because of a preservation project I have a bunch of old
soil
maps that have been detached from their accompanying soil survey
booklets.
The titles of the maps and of the accompanying surveys are frequently
slightly different, and the dates of publication are often not the same.
Different libraries seem to have handled the cataloging of these in
several
ways.  When the items are detached should there be separate records for
the
maps and the surveys?  If the two are combined into a single record
which
should be the "main entry" (if such a concept is still considered
valid)?
Can anyone point to examples of supremely skillful cataloging of soil
maps
and their accompanying (but no longer attached) soil surveys?  Thanks in
advance all you map catalogers.

David Allen
Map Librarian
Stony Brook University