From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:09:24 -0400
Hello Friends:
      The University of Georgia Map Collection holds about 220,000 air
 photos covering the state of Georgia.  Some 100,000 of those photos
 have marks on them from their previous life in ASCS.  The marks are
 from 'china markers.'  Over the years we have cleaned individual photos
 as needed using a plastic eraser.  That is fairly slow.  We now have
 the money to scan the entire collection and eventually will mount the
 air photos in a database on the University System of Georgia's Galileo
 database server.  That means I need to clean all the photos fairly
 quickly.

     What are the various ways to clean these photos?  When I was at
 Oregon, many, many years ago, they used a chemical on a rag.  The
 problem was the chemical was toxic to humans.  I need an easy, quick,
 safe way to clean the photos.  Does such a way exist? What suggestions
 do you all have? Thanks for any input.  I will summarize for the list.

 Johnnie Sutherland
 Map Collection
 University of Georgia Libraries
 Athens, GA  30602