From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:43:28 -0400
Two messages concerning Circulation Policies
xxxxx1 messagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Map Library at the University of Kansas circulates maps on the same loan
periods as books (undergraduates/general public, i.e., residents of Kansas
for 6 weeks; faculty for 4 months)--renewal twice through the automated
circulation system.  We do have materials that are Room Use Only such as
aerial photography of Lawrence and other parts of Kansas.  Sometimes we have
the first copy as Room Use Only with a second copy circulating.  An example
of two copies policy: large-scale topographic maps of our campus and the CIA
8.5" x 11" PrEx 3.10/4: maps.  Our first copy of the CIA maps is the
Government Document Depository item and non-circulating--so they are always
available.  The second copy may be obtained as depository, exchange or gift
and circulates on the same loan periods as books.  We slide them into the
transparent plastic protectors to avoid damage.  We do have an 11" x 17"
scanner for public use, so things can be copied in color.  We also have a
staff-operated 24"x36" scanner as well.  The staff reserves the right not to
circulate fragile or damaged materials, whether maps or atlases.  We do put
items on 2-hr Reserve from time to time as faculty members request.

Jennie Dienes
Map Librarian
T.R. Smith Map Collections
103 Anschutz Library
1301 Hoch Auditoria Drive
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-7537
Telephone:  (785) 864-4346 or 864-4420 (both w/ voice mail)
Fax:        (785) 864-5705
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

xxxxx2 messagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx