From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:28:06 -0500
Subject: RE: Print Versus Online Gazetteer Preferences
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:20:28 -0400
From: Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

I share Michael Fry's question, What is lacking in the online gazetteer
(aka Name Server) milieu that is better served by the printed gazetteers?

In both the GNIS database, and the GNS server, it is possible to run
searches that do these things:
Context searching -- search on a name, search on the beginning
characters of a name, search on the final characters of a name, or to
search on a string of characters contained in a name.

Variant forms of a name -- results can present different versions of a
name, both historical and contemporary.  This can range from different
forms of a name from various languages, such as Paris -- Parigi or Praha
-- Prague, or different names from various periods as well as languages,
such as Zagreb -- Agram.  These are mostly describing the NGA's GNS
international names database.  Similar methods are able to work for the
GNIS server for US names.  This database, among other results, will
indicate the name of the 7.5-minute quadrangle(s) on which the searched
feature appears.  This is a valuable tool, users here have found, when
looking for maps of a stream, basin or watershed by identifying all the
map sheets on which the stream of interest appears.

Search limits -- a search can be as general as one might wish, by not
specifying a particular feature type, or limit to particular types, or
to a category of types (such as populated places, or bodies of water, or
mountains).

A search can look for the entire world, or be limited to a particular
country, political division, or region.

I know that these types of searches work well because I have used them,
and found the results helpful.

If anyone can describe a satisfactory method of accomplishing these
things using the printed gazetteers, I would be interested to know how
you do it.

Note I am not advocating the disposal of printed gazetteers, but I don't
turn to these as the first method.  I seldom use them as a fall-back
resource, either.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                          Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA