From:
Jon Hagee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 09:52:35 EDT
>My understanding is you must be a member of the NSS or other
>caving organizations such as the International Union of
>Speleologists to explore many caves.  Speleologists are a
>tight-knit group who are extremely secretive about their
>caves.  - PML

I read this information with interest since I am one of those "secretive"
cavers (as we like to be called). <g>

This information is largely correct. There are also good reasons for
the secrecy in cave locations. Imagine if every time you publish a map
library location, you get a few visitors who destroy a part of your rare
map collection and you get the idea...

Lechuguilla is one of the most protected caves. If you are interested
in helping study this cave, I suggest getting involved with the group
involved with Lechuguilla. I can get some internet addresses. I'm
not sure what the current policy is for access to the cave since it's
been largely explored and mapped. (At least the know part of the cave.)

Be aware there are literally thousands of caves on private property,
parks, etc. that are open to the public. You may need to ask permission
or find a local cave group, but there are a lot more caves than the
commercial caves we hear about.

You may find that since there are limited spots for trips into Lechuguilla
there may be a waiting period. I know people that planned for years to
get in the cave. You may have to "put your time in". As they say.

                         Jon Hagee - NSS 25055
                         Kentucky Explorer BBS