Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 07:57:41 -0500
Subject:        Re: : Academic Library volunteer policy
Date:   Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:03:58 -0700
From:   Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

So far, volunteers have been persons
working on MLS's who are looking
for an internship. Library policy is
that there must be a formal job description
for any person working in the library,
whether it's for pay or not;
an important part of this is
that should the person be
injured on the job, workmen's
compensation will cover them.

So I talk with the person about
what would teach them what they
need to learn, at the same time
that the map library gets some
work - that is too complicated
for most student assistants to take on,
but just right for a person who has
taken some library science classes -
and then write up the job description,
of course sending the person a draft
first to make sure that the intern
and I are each clear on what's to be done.
Then the intern and I sign off on
the job description; original goes
to library personnel, and the intern
and my department's personnel