From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 14:06:07 -0500
Subject:        NACIS 2011 abstract deadline
Date:   Wed, 11 May 2011 13:42:01 -0500
From:   Jaime Stoltenberg <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Dear colleagues,

Abstract deadline: *May 31*

This is a friendly reminder of our approaching Call For Participation
deadline for the 2011 North American Cartographic Information Society
(NACIS) annual conference in Madison, WI.

If you weren’t already aware of the conference, please see the
description below and attached call for participation. I encourage you
to consider putting in a presentation proposal for our Special Session
on Cartographic Collections, which will focus on new ways collections
are being organized, preserved and distributed.

NACIS seeks to provide a stimulating and collegial environment for both
scholarly and creative work. Our conference is known to be specialized
yet diverse, growing and yet still very personal. Bringing together map
makers, scholars and users with those of us in the business of serving
maps and geospatial data is a perfect match!

Please contact me ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>) for questions
about the special session on collections.

For the Special Paper Session on Cartographic Collections, we are
looking for interesting presentations that discuss issues related to
organizing, managing, preserving, and promoting cartographic
collections.Suggested topics include, (but are certainly not limited to):

     * /new trends in map and/or digital geospatial data collection
       management/

     * /digital preservation, scanning, and/or other archiving projects /

     * /interesting ways to create broader access to cartographic
       collections /

     * /collaborative projects and grants/

     * /innovative ways to promote cartographic collections / outreach
       activities / awareness/

     * /new methods of collection organization, including special
       cataloging and metadata projects/

     * /trends in acquisitions and collection development for both paper
       and digital materials - how are we building our collections? what
       challenges are we facing?/

*PMLD!*
In addition to planning the special paper session, we are in the process
of planning some fun activities for Practical Map Librarianship Day on
Wednesday, October 12^th . We'll have lunch in downtown Madison, then
take a tour of the Wisconsin State Historical Society. This will include
a guided tour of the entire building (including the archives and map
collection), a discussion of new digital initiatives, and a short
presentation on a new map cataloging project currently underway there.
Then we will walk a short distance (across the street!) to beautiful and
historic Science Hall, home of the University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Geography. Here we will tour the Arthur H. Robinson Map
Library, the Geography Library, the History of Cartography Project, the
State Cartographer’s Office, and the Cartography Lab.

regards,

Jaime

_CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
_*NACIS*2011*: Cartography and Information Design*

Madison, Wisconsin - October 12-14, 2011

Geospatial technologies, GIS, geovisualization, and cartography are at
the center of the recent and promising uptick of interest in Geography
in our universities. Students today are making use more than ever of
available maps and data, but our geospatial search and map distribution
tools are still in the process of innovating.

For thirty years, NACIS has been a gathering node for professionals and
scholars interested in designing, collecting, and understanding maps and
geospatial data. Our collegial conference ‘mashes up’ industry leading
designers and developers, top academic researchers, next-generation
scholars, and representatives from government organizations to enhance
the conversation around cartographic theory and design.//

//

Our theme this year is */How does design make a difference?/*

Our shared and enduring passion is to render our social, economic,
political and natural world intelligible and actionable through design.
We want to hear from you how it makes difference in the world around
you. From disaster response to spirituality, city planning to watershed
science, and social media to social justice – /how does design make a
difference?/

**

*Deadline: May 23*

*call for sessions, panels & workshops*

The program committee invites you to submit proposals to organize
intriguing sessions, panels, discussions, and workshops. We will
entertain all creative ideas! Please submit a 100 word description and
title of your proposed session, including names of possible presenters.
Individual presentation descriptions should follow the instructions below.

Direct submissions to *Erik Steiner, *[log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>/

**

*Deadline: May 31*

*call for talks, posters & demos*

We invite all presenters to propose talks, papers, posters and
demonstrations in the areas of print and web-based map design and
production, map curation, visualization and visual analytics, urban
design, spatial cognition, art, philosophy of design + more! Submissions
will be considered for the general program as well as for our special
conference programs shown at right.

**

*SUBMISSION GUIDELINES*

Please submit a 200 word description of your presentation, including
names and affiliations of all authors and presenters. Please Indicate if
you would like your paper considered for one of our special programs or
a proposed session. Please submit all materials by May 31.//

Direct all submissions to *Erik Steiner*, [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>/

/Special Programs include:/

*practical cartography day*

Join professional cartographers and academics for this highly
anticipated all-day session, as they share practical solutions to their
most pressing and enigmatic cartographic problems. Contact *Sam Pepple
*& *Tim Wallace*, [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>/

*special session on cartographic collections*

This session, affiliated with “Practical Map Librarianship Day” will
focus on new and innovative ways cartographic collections are being
organized, preserved and distributed. Contact *Jaime Stoltenberg*,
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>/

*/
Students!/*

*student poster contest + student interactive mapping competition*

These annual awards are given to students who have developed innovative
posters or animated, narrative or dynamic map applications.

Visit www.nacis.org <http://www.nacis.org> for poster and map contest
details.

*travel grants are available to support attendance

*NACIS*2011. Get engaged, learn, interact, invent and be inspired.

See you in Madison in October!

--
Jaime Stoltenberg