From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:39:32 -0500
Subject: Re: [Fwd: RE: [Fwd: barcoding maps]]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:40:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I recall the earlier query and the subsequent discussion.  Since it is
raised again, I will offer a brief description of my own experience.

I have our maps barcoded at the time they are cataloged.  Since the map
collection has accumulated for a far longer time than the cataloging has
been going on, there is a great deal of retrospective cataloging.  For
the most part, I am limiting my barcoding of the older maps to those
times
they are handled for other reasons, rather than to make a project of
barcoding everything.  I lack the people or the opportunity to engage in
such a project.  The best example I can give is for the U.S. topographic
maps.  I have had student staff engaged over the past two and one-half
years getting them listed in our catalog with state records.  There are
far too many to have one major project to barcode them.  Had I done this
as part of the record updating, the project would have taken about twice
as much time, as I only have one barcode scanner.  With this large set,
the single largest group I have, I let the users determine for me which
ones need barcodes, because these are the ones they use.  It is much
simpler for me, in my circumstances, to apply a barcode to an existing
record than to do so any other way.

Placement of barcodes:
I've generally put the labels in a lower corner, away from the filing
label or information.  It has usually been on the recto, outside the
neat
line in the margin.  Where the map printing is bled to the edge of the
sheet, if there is no unobtrusive spot, or if the labelling needs to be
on
the verso, that is where the barcode goes.  On folded maps with covers,
keep them in a separate file, along with smaller format maps such as the
CIA series, I apply the barcode on the front cover if there is space,
and
on the back cover if necessary.

With regard to how they fit in the files:
My experience so far makes me concur with those who report no difficulty
with the barcodes making the stack of maps too thick in the file.

Regarding the conservation issues and application
of barcodes:
On the one hand, those that are too fragile to take a barcode label
probably are too fragile for actual use by your clients without some
protection.  De-acidification and encapsulation, with a barcode applied
the capsule, is probably the best solution there.  On the other hand,
that
makes for much more work, time, and material.  I think the investment in
some protection for maps that are obviously too fragile for your project
will make them in the long run more usable for your public, and easier
manage by your staff after use.

I have not seen any problems with acid migration from the adhesive to
the
paper.  This is, of course, something that would take a long time to
occur, and more time to discover.  We have been using barcodes on
materials for about 12 years (started in January of 1990), and I've not
seen any items with problems.  I presume, maybe in innocent ignorance,
that the manufacturers are using acid-free adhesives, knowing that the
labels are to be applied to library materials that will be retained for
many years.

Finally, the only other issue I have encountered with barcodes is that
some users seem to associate the barcode with security protection.  I
had
an instance where two maps were stolen.  I discovered the theft when I
found the barcode labels that had been torn off the maps.  They helped
me
to identify and replace the maps, even if I could not catch the thief
and
recover the maps.  I've seen this with books from time to time, as well.
Here is another preservation issue.  Removal of a label will cause a
thin
tear in the paper.  If the paper is fragile to begin with, this removal
will make a worse tear.  Better to have some protection for maps where
condition of the paper is a problem.

With best regards,

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA