From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:28:10 -0600
Subject:        RE: Inquiry from government documents librarian about
classification systems used for USGS 7.5 minute topographic maps
Date:   Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:28:52 -0800
From:   Charles E Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

We file our 7.5' topos by alphabetically by state and then alphabetically by quad name within the state.  We do have marcive records for a lot of our topos, and we help patrons find them by putting in non-LC call numbers (099) into the item records--the sudocs are in the bib records if anyone is ever curious.  Here is a link to an example of what the OPAC looks like to a patron.  Most of the time, they can be found just by looking up the quad name.

http://innopac.library.unr.edu/record=b1977368

Chuck Robinson
Map & Document Assistant

University of Nevada Reno