From:
BARBARA COX <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 May 1996 11:43:17 EDT
    In our library you can stampede people by threatening to form an
"Accompanying Materials Taskforce".
    Through the years--and several committees--we have developed the
policy of removing any folded material from books and housing it in
map drawers in the Map Collection. Some of this material is not
cartographic; it's anything on flat pieces of paper--biochemical
pathways charts, history timelines, etc-- that accompany a book
which would go into the regular stacks.  The flat item receives the
same call number as the book.  The catalog record's holdings
statement says "accompanying material shelved in Map Collection..."
We have rubber stamps which say "Accompanying book shelved under
same call number" which is stamped on  the "map" and
"Accompanying material shelved in the Map Collection under the same
call number" which is stamped on the back flyleaf of the book.  A
similar sytem is used for folded material in serials.
    Items in our Map collection thus are predominately G3000-G9999
but also include other LC call number classifications (and a few
Deweys, and a few unclassified journal titles).
    This decision was made mostly for preservation purposes and to
increase documentation for circulation (All our items are
barcoded and circulate through the regular check out system).
   Now there's also the case of a book accompanying a map.....

Barbara Cox        [log in to unmask]
Science and Engineering Division, 159 Marriott Library
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah USA 84112
(801)581-7533      fax (801)585-3464