From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2009 09:43:05 -0600
Subject:        FW: Journal of Maps: Last Issue of 2008
Date:   Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:51:53 -0600
From:   Doug Behm <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

From: Mike J Smith [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tue 12/30/2008 5:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Journal of Maps: Last Issue of 2008

The Journal of Maps is pleased to announce the publication of it's last issue of 2008. This issue is a "general" issue and incorporates a wide range of material including geology, dasymetric mapping, sub-national mapping of human development and transportation.

This issue is also unique in that it marks the completion of the special issue on "Transport Networks" that has run through the year, with papers first published at the beginning of 2008. An editorial from Professor Chris Wright wraps up this special issue.

Finally there is the annual editorial summarising the activities of the journal over the year and announcing the winner of our inaugural "Best Map" for 2008. The winner will have their map published in a limited 1000 copy print run which will be available for purchase "at cost".

The table of contents is copied below and also available at:

http://www.journalofmaps.com/about.php?helpfile=smartyAbstracts.html

I would also like to draw attention to an issue of the Journal of Maps Student Edition which has just been published. These papers resulted out of the Remote Sensing and Photogrammetric Society's annual student meeting and can be found here (and ToC copied below):

http://www.journalofmaps.com/about.php?helpfile=smartyStudentEdition.html

We would like to further promote JoMSE to all research students as an excellent "first publishing" opportunity which can occur early on in a research career when data have been gathered but not analysed. One of our recent authors commented:

"it is very exciting and such a good opportunity, not to mention a fantastic learning curve as a new academic."

I hope we can encourage many more students to share their work.

----------

Burberry, C. M., Cosgrove, J. W. and Liu, J-G. (2008) Spatial arrangement of fold types in the Zagros Simply Folded Belt, Iran, indicated by landform morphology and drainage pattern characteristics, Journal of Maps, v2008, 417-430.

Faccini, F., Piccazzo, M. and Robbiano, A. (2008) Environmental Geological Maps of San Fruttuoso Bay (Portofino Park, Italy), Journal of Maps, v2008, 431-443.

McKenzie, S.J.P. (2008) Disaggregating Job Seekers Allowance Statistics for Belfast using IKONOS Satellite Imagery, Journal of Maps, v2008, 444-450.

Faccini, F., Piccazzo, M., Robbiano, A. and Roccati, A. (2008) Applied geomorphological map of the Portofino Municipal Territory (Italy), Journal of Maps, v2008, 451-462.

Graciotti, R., Pantaloni, M. and Foresi, L. M. (2008) Geomorphological map of the Pianosa Island (Tuscan Archipelago, Italy), Journal of Maps, v2008, 463-471.

Porter, J.R. (2008) Mapping Human Development at the Sub-National Level: Spatial Contours of Development in the U.S., Journal of Maps, v2008, 472-484.

van Vuren, T. and Hurst, N. (2008) Estimating and Mapping the Costs of Congestion in a Metropolitan Area, Journal of Maps, v2008, 485-498.

Hall, J. (2008) Impact of the provision of funding for socially necessary bus services on overall public transport network coverage, Nottinghamshire, UK, Journal of Maps, v2008, 499-506.

Wright, C. (2008) Editorial: Transport Networks, Journal of Maps, v2008, 507-509.

Smith, M.J. (2008) Editorial: summary of activities 2008, Journal of Maps, v2008, 510-516.

======

Thomson, T. (2008) Editorial: RSPSoc Annual Student Meeting 2008. Journal of Maps Student Edition, v2008, 1-3.

Khalid, F. and Babb, R. (2008) Hazard and Risk Assessment from Hurricane Ivan (2004) in Grenada using Geographical Information Systems and Remote Sensing. Journal of Maps Student Edition, v2008, 4-10.

Hall, J. (2008) The identification of different ice facies on the North Patagonian Icefield (Chile) from ETM+ and ASTER images using a rule-based classification. Journal of Maps Student Edition, v2008, 11-22.

Morris, N. (2008) Low-Cost Remote Sensing and GIS for Regional Disaster Risk Reduction, North West Costa Rica. Journal of Maps Student Edition, v2008, 23-38.

--
Dr Mike J Smith
Editor-in-Chief: Journal of Maps

School of Geography, Geology and the Environment
Centre for Earth and Environmental Science Research
Kingston University London
Penrhyn Road
Kingston-upon-Thames
Surrey