From:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1993 16:59:08 EDT
2 Framework questions that are posed some thought.  I am posting my
thoughts to the net to allow others to contemplate and make
suggestions and additional comments.

Work Group A will be addressing 1-2 Types of Libraries and their
functions;, 3 Services of these libraries; 4-5 Organizational
Relationships;

1-3 Types of Libraries, their Functions & Services

Robert S. Allen describes three types of configurations (i.e. levels)
of service with regard to spatial data (SLA G&M Bulletin 173, Sept.
1993).  I forsee three as well, slightly different from his.  The
three levels would be to have 1. A fully functional GIS in a library
that is even capable of analyses; 2. Partially functional GIS in a
library capable of producing maps (print or on the screen) and
manipulating data, BUT NOT AVAILABLE FOR ANALYSIS OF DATA TO TURN OUT
REPORTS; 3. Providing access to data, but not allowing maps to be
produced in the Library on library equipment-an internet connection
with limited assistance from staff.  The function of these three
types of Spatial Data Centers should be derived from the goals set
for the center.  The choice of level is also dependent on the goals
set for the center.  The services offered by these centers can be
derived based on the goals.

4-5 Organizational relationships
I believe that there should be at least one medium service spatial
data center per state.  The reason I do not favor a Full Service
center is because there could be problems in Full Service Centers--
equipment could be monopolized by private contractors (consulting
firms) who use the Library equipment rather than purchasing their
own.

Work Group B deals with administration of the system.
I would like to see a single agency oversee the entire system, rather
than trying to deal with separate agencies.  The latter would return
us to the pre-CUAC days that I have heard and read horror stories
about.  There should be a group similar to CUAC to deal with spatial
data from the various federal agencies (SDUAC).  The library offering
the highest service level in the state ought to receive all the data
that ESIC's and state geographic name authorities receive, as people
tend to call libraries for information BEFORE they contact state
agencies.  Better yet, the ESIC system should be incorporated into
libraries, preferably the largest one in the state or region.
With respect to agreements, each medium-level spatial data center
should become an archival site for information ON THAT REGION (the
state it is in and the contiguous states).  That way the boundary
information and regional information will always be available.  When
spatial data is updated, there should be some type of "date"
information attached, so that we can retrieve historical data in the
future.

That is the extent of my comments for now.  Maybe there can be more
comments based on this.  Patrick, I hope that you will forward this
to Melissa.

Linda Zellmer                      *   *   *    /\ *   *   *   *
Box 3006 University Station          *   *    /    \/^\  *   *
Geology Library, University of Wyoming *    /        \  \/^\   *
Laramie, WY  82071-3006                   /            \  \  \