From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:33:25 -0500
Hi Brendan:
     Halfway, Oregon, is a small mountain ranching community near Hells
Canyon.  I grew up a couple of mountain ranges away from Halfway in
another small, very rural, Eastern Oregon town.  However some of my
family were early settlers in Hells Canyon, not far from Halfway.
Halfway is in a remote location even for Eastern Oregon. I was in the
area this fall looking at the old home place in Hells Canyon but did
not think for a second about driving over to Halfway.
     If you like the isolated, western ranching life, then you might
like Halfway. It is in an un-developed outdoor area with lots of
potential. Like most of the small isolated towns of the region in that
it has been in a slow decline for the last 50 years. It is so small
that it can not support all the normal services offered in a viable
town.
     You are right in that the only way Halfway will get any growth is
through a state or federal boondoggle.  This happened in the 1960's to
Burns, Oregon.  Burns is a much larger, and viable, town in
Southeastern Oregon.  It is also in a remote area of the state.  So the
Feds set up a youth training camp about 30 miles outside of the town.
They then sent mainly black youth from the streets of Chicago, via bus,
across the US to Burns.  There the kids were put on an old school bus
and driven out into the high desert.  The nearest inhabited place,
about 5 miles away, was the headquarters of a wildlife refuge. The only
thing you could see was Steens Mountain and the only thing you could
hear, beside the wind, was the howling of coyotes at night. The camp
had one of the worst burn-out rates for job camps, and it was closed
after a few years.
     Here in Georgia the state helps towns like Halfway by building
'development highways' to the towns. Development highways are four-lane
divided highways that are suppost to draw new business to the towns.
All they do is allow the local to drive faster as they leave the towns.
Have you ever seen four-lane divided highways that have peak rates of
30 cars an hour?

John Sutherland
University of Georgia
Athens, GA   USA

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:20:36 +1100 Brendan Whyte