SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Patrick Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:08:48 -0400
Thanks to those who generously assisted our efforts to ID a source for the
banded DUNL we recently sighted. Ultimately, a series of contacts from
Alaska to the east coast narrowed the search to the proper source below.
Note the bird's age. What cannot be shared is the remarkable, pristine,
condition of the bird's full complement of bands despite their long
exposure. Via this search, we learned that Alaskan north slope DUNL
receive a Y above FG on the tibia but with no add color bands below.
Conversely, the DelBay DUNL receive Y above FG WITH add color bands on the
tarsus.

Although we have sighted marked: SAND, RUTU and REKN banded in DelRay,
this was our first banded DUNL from any location. A flagged REKN sighted
on the same series of AMOY surveys as the DUNL was banded the previous
year in SW Florida.

Patrick and Doris Leary

Hi Pat,

Thanks so much for reporting your resighting.  That dunlin was banded 9
May 2000 at Thompsons Beach, Delaware Bay, NJ.  We've been monitoring
weight gain of shorebirds during spring stopover on the Delaware Bay
since 1997.  The color bands individualize each bird which allows us to
track their movement around the bayshore during their stay.

Thanks again,
Patti

Patti Hodgetts
Research Associate