SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Patrick Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2012 07:16:58 -0400
Ft. George Inlet (Huguenot Park inlet shore)  While surveying Red knots in
the inlet on Thursday 3, May, a Sanderling with a conspicuous yellow
marker mounted on its right leg was briefly sighted before flushing and
flying north across the inlet.  Initially the bright marker was mistaken
for a geolocator attached to one of many knots foraging on a distant sand
bar. However, when the knots flushed away, a lone Sanderling remained with
the yellow marker. Although viewed briefly, it was evident that the marker
was a flag of some manner and not a color band.  At 4-500 meters distance
from my vantage point, no code could be detected and the bird was in view
for less than 10 seconds before it took flight and continued north across
the wide inlet. When first detected, I did not even have time to zoom my
scope’s eyepiece on the bird before it departed.

Following my departure from HMP, I entered Lt. Talbot Island State Park,
drove down to the north side of the inlet and hiked out to the beach to
search for the bird, but none of the SAND found there were marked. Per
international marking protocol, Yellow-flagged shorebirds originate in
Australia or East Asia.  However some SAND in Britain have been affixed
with small yellow geolocators. Per consultation with Dr. Larry Niles, no
SAND in NA have been affixed with such geolocators.  Supplementary markers
denote specific countries of origin, but this morning’s bird was much too
distant and viewed too briefly to determine if the yellow marker was a
flag or geolocator.

The unusual occurrence of a possible, western Pacific, SAND follows the
appearance of the Greater Sand Plover at HMP a few years past. With the
increased marking and tracking of shorebirds across the globe, we may
discover that Asian or European migrants shift into this hemisphere more
frequently than previously thought.  It is most unfortunate that more data
could not have been collected from the briefly sighted bird, but such is
the nature of some observations during peak migratory periods.  Should the
bird pass through Britain and be recaptured or pass through DelBay this
spring and be captured the researchers may have quite a surprise as to its
global wanderings.

This message will posted to other listserves in the hope that other
Atlantic coast observers may sight the bird as it moves along the Atlantic
flyway.

Patrick Leary, Fernandina Beach, Nassau County, FL