--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:20:50 -0700
From: "Reese, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Cataloging maps with a bad scale bar <fwd>
Sender: "Reese, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>

Kathleen,

Though I have never actually come across this problem myself, I can tell you
what my inclination would be.

I would probably do something like the following:

x represents the correct scale
y represents the incorrect scale

<---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------->
255     Scale [ca. 1:x] not "y"
500     Map scale inaccurately marked on map.   (or something like that just
as a visual note.)
<---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------->

I get the 255 field by using Chapter 8 in the Map Cataloger's manual where
it says:

Mathematical Data Area
Since the scale of an item directly affects its use and since the scale of a
photocopy may differ from that of the original, due to reduction or
enlargement, any scale statement on the item should be verified (e.g., by
measuring a bar scale, using degrees of latitude, etc.) whenever possible.
As with other types of items, no searching is done to determine the scale if
it is not stated, but, if the scale statement reproduced from the original
or stated in accompanying material is found to be inaccurate for the
photocopy, that information is quoted as negative additional scale
information.
EXAMPLE
Scale [ca. 1:710,000] not "1:500,000."

Though the above section deals primarily with reproductions and photocopies,
I think that interpretation could probably be stretched to cover your
current situation.  The 500 field, I would include primarily as a visual
signal for those users who tend to skip straight to the notes.

But like I said, this is just my inclination.  If anyone else has any idea,
I would enjoy hearing them.

Terry Reese
Information Services
Maps and Gov. Docs