-------- Original Message --------

Subject:  Sad News - Ron Whistance-Smith
Date:  Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:33:42 -0600
From:  "Jones, David (Library)" <[log in to unmask]>

[Please excuse the cross-postings ] Dear All

Ron-Whistance-Smith, Map Curator Emeritus, died yesterday.  Ron built the William C. Wonders Map Collection into the largest academic map collection in Canada and an internationally known resource.  Since his retirement Ron continued to support and work in the collection.  Below is a message which I received last night from his wife, Rena
David
David L. Jones, Map Librarian
William C. Wonders Map Collection
Science & Technology Library
1-26 Cameron Library
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2J8
voice  (780)492-3433     fax   (780)492-2721
e-mail   [log in to unmask]
This is a brief note to let you know that Ron died in the early hours of this morning, September 25.  He was peaceful and slipped away surrounded by family. We had spent a wonderful day in vigil and I'm sure he could hear our stories, hymns, prayers, and laughter.  We were supported by love and appreciation for Ron's influence and gifts to us, his family and friends, and although we mourn his passing, we know and believe his journey continues with a different roadmap. A memorial service celebrating Ron's life will be held on Tuesday, September 30 at 10 am at St. Timothy's Anglican Church (8420-145 St.Edmonton) Thank you for your concern and positive thoughts and prayers over the past months and I know both of us have been upheld by them. I also know that your love and thoughts will continue especially over the next few days and weeks. Without love and care for one another. this mortal journey would  be lonely and, at times, so discouraging. The loving care and respect that Ron and the family received from all the staff of the Mel Miller Hospice these past three months were a gift of ministry that we will always remember.  In lieu of flowers, and in celebration of Ron's life, we invite you to consider supporting this hospice ministry. Their address is:  Mel Miller Hospice, 11111 Jasper Ave., Edmonton, AB.  T5K 0L4. Rena