-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Aerial vs. bird's eye vs. panoramic
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:05:59 -0500
From: Derek Tonn <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I'll add another two in, just to "muddy the waters"....  "oblique" and
"3D perspective"  :-)

I am WAY over-simplifying things in the description I am about to give,
but here is how I tend to make sense of all of the different terminology:

WHEN LOOKING AT A PROPERTY/CAMPUS FROM:

0 degrees (ground level) - photos or more of a building rendering than
any type of navigational piece

1-89 degrees (though more practically from 25-75 degrees, for
mapping/illustration purposes) - Oblique, panoramic, 3D perspective
and/or "Bird's Eye" as a nickname, displaying length, width AND height
of a campus'/property's features.  Some people use the term
"illustrated" here, but I think that is an incorrect way to describe
these types of maps, as any map, 0-90 degrees, can be "illustrated"

90 degrees (from directly overhead) - satellite imagery or "2D
perspective maps", displaying a building's length and width, with no
"height" being depicted.  Sometimes also referred to as "aerials",
though I think this is an incomplete/incorrect term to use as well,
since "aerial" could mean anything "off the ground".

DEFINITIONS FROM THEFREEDICTIONARY.COM:
Oblique - Having a slanting or sloping direction, course, or position;
inclined.
Panoramic - as from an altitude or distance; "a bird's-eye survey"; "a
panoramic view"
Bird's Eye - Derived from or as if from an altitude or distance;
comprehensive: a bird's-eye survey; a bird's-eye view.

When talking to aerial photographers, they speak of "obliques" most of
the time, from my experience.  Artists/designers tends to speak about
bird's-eye or panoramic views, as well as 3D perspective (though not as
common).  Any of the four terms are correct, and can be used
interchangeably, in my opinion.  The one I always "cringe" a bit at
though is "illustrated", because "illustrated" could mean ANYTHING
related to the angle/method that an image is depicted, where as the
other three terms are more-specific.

Not sure if that helps at all.  A fun question on a Friday afternoon
though, for sure!

Derek

mapformation
220 South Burns Avenue