Re: MAPS-L: Aerial vs. bird's eye vs. panoramic

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Aerial vs. bird's eye vs. panoramic
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:38:40 -0500
From: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Re: MAPS-L: Aerial vs. bird's eye vs. panoramic
In particular, the term "bird's eye view" originated centuries before human flight. I think of "aerial" imagery as actually created from airborne observation or photography.

The water is muddied somewhat by John Reps inclusion in his "Views and Viewmaker," which many think of as the catalog of US bird-seye views, of many non-bird's-eye views. To be a true bird's eye view, it shuold be from an imagined, constructed perspective

Oblique or vertical views are a distinction as to angle.

A further distinction: perspective vs axonometric views. Most of what we think of as "Bird's eye" views are historically drawn with a horizon line. and at least the suggestion of perspective. More recently, many publishers have published "bird's eye views" which have a constant horizontal scale and no horizon-- axonometric views.

Hope this is helpful.

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps