Sending this as html ... sorry to those of you who have troubles with this (mostly digest people).

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: raised relief maps
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:01:44 -0500
From: Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Just by way of history, these are quite interesting, and date at least as far back (maybe further, as I am not really expert) as Vauban, the French Military engineer, and Louis XIV:

ARMY ORGANISATION

Plan-relief de Neuf-Brisach

Relief-map of Neuf-Brisach

In 1679, Vauban created the first pioneer and miners company.
He also created raised relief maps together with Louvois (Louis XIV's war minister) These scale-models ( scale 1/600) of major fortified places and towns are a very important source of information for the historains of geography and architecture. The models that remain today are displayed in the Invalides museum in Paris and the Beaux-Arts museum of Lille.

I am not sure the image will come through, but there is the related Musee des Plans-Reliefs: http://www.museedesplansreliefs.culture.fr/# .

             Joel Kovarsky

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">-------- Original Message --------