-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Metadata standards for GPS coordinates?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:36:59 -0700
From: Ken Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Folks, my current work involves working in digital collections metadata, and some digital objects have fairly detailed GPS coordinates provided.  I’m wondering if there is a “best practices” standard for their format, which may vary considerably.  Here are a couple of examples from recent submissions:

N 68°22.987´/W 146°24.882´

N 48 15.048° W 121 48.973°

The first one looks better to me, but any advice on proper format, including punctuation, will be welcome.  I also note that it appears the degree sign can be problematic for Content-dm to recognize, so maybe the word “degrees” should be spelled out.

Sorry if this is not as map-related as it should be, but it seems a good forum to reach people who might also know something about this related subject.

--Ken Rockwell

  Univ. of Utah