-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Map Cataloging Expectation
Date:   Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:47:37 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Harry,

Here at Penn State, remembering that we have a Map Cataloging Team made
up of four individuals (3 FTE):

1. Numerical expectations either from the department or Team level are
not employed, as for myself I make a goal of XXX number of titles per
year for myself and my supervisor (Head of the department) signs off on
it. Many, many years ago while at UGA all catalogers were expected to
make numerical goals, based on format of material, though I no longer
remember what mine was. A MAJOR difference between the two settings is
tenure and all the non-cataloging expectations that entails. At UGA also
I was THE maps cataloger, doing both copy and original; here at PSU I do
95% original cataloging. Another consideration in all of this -- does
your institution participate in one or more of the PCC's cooperative
cataloging programs and if so what are numerical/other expectations for
that participation? After all, cataloging is more than just creating
descriptions, it also entails levels of skill for classification (and
therefore creating accurate call numbers) and subject analysis (in
providing the right numbers of subject headings, in correct format, and
accurate to the item being described + all of us are now having to make
decisions and go through a learning curve on the very recent change to
form/genre cartographic headings/subdivisions). Personally, I would
expect the individual who ONLY has to worry about cataloging to be doing
far more record-creating than the person who also is involved in a
variety of non-cataloging activities (required or voluntarily) such as
sitting on and participating or leading committees at the local, state,
regional, national or international levels (or a mix), doing
research/publication work and/or some form of outreach.

2. Copy vs. original cataloging: I would expect numbers on the copy side
to be at least double that of original, with a caveat I'll outline below.

3. "Short cataloging" (or...collection-level or minimal-level record
creation): we only do full-level cataloging at our institution with a
very few exceptions, primarily those are related to a lack of language
expertise in a given situation. We owe it to our patrons, wherever
located, to provide them with the most accurate and complete description
of our maps in order to aid in the process of deciding whether to come
into the collection to look at and possibly borrow our maps. A full
description also helps disambiguate between maps of similar or the same
title. A description, particularly including coordinate values, that is
accurate and specific also brings better search results. I would also
fully expect that full descriptions are very helpful to the person who
runs the collection and needs to rely on inherent data for
collection-building decisions.

Caveat:

I've been posed this question many times in the past, and yes, there are
some answers that have been given by others in the past that are
specific numerical decisions. With more than 20+ years of map cataloging
experience I always hesitate to give a certain set of numbers because
the variables involved are too numerous. I touched on one major one
above: does the person(s) involved ONLY do cataloging or do they have
mixed duties. Which means, what are the other demands on their time
outside of cataloging, and that has a direct impact on how much
cataloging can actually be done. You touched on another factor; what
kind of cataloging is being done, copy vs. original? (and I threw in the
mix of doing also accurate classification and subject analysis work) If
the level of copy cataloging is high, and the institution expects the
cataloger to take every record that matches "as is" with very minor
adjustments/corrections/additions then one can assume the number of
records created will/should be high. Warning however, what is the
QUALITY of those records like that were created by other institutions --
it has a direct bearing on helping our patrons find what they are
looking for and matching their needs. Compare that to the amount of time
it takes to create an original record, whether from scratch or through
the "derive" process (in OCLC), which must also include "doing authority
work" so that access points are accurate (and/or for those of us who
participate in NACO/SACO and/or BIBCO, taking the time to create
authority records for places, people, topics and corporate bodies),
we're talking about taking substantially more time per record than when
doing copy cataloging.

All of this also entails the question, what kind of maps are in the
collection that need to be described? A collection made up primarily of
fairly straightforward maps from well-known companies or agencies will
take less time to catalog than one that is more eclectic in
far-reaching. If you told me that your collection was primarily made up
of USGS, CIA, National Geographic, Rand McNally (and older companies
that they bought up over the years) and other U.S. federal map-making
agencies then my expectation of how quickly the collection can be
cataloged would be very different than a collection that has not only
the above but a large amount of maps from foreign sources, local-only
sources, etc. The age of the maps involved also is a factor, there is
less copy available for older materials (early twentieth century and
older) than for those of more recent vintage, particularly from WWII to
date.

Personally, I have always been a quality over quantity person and that
will remain unchanged because I feel it benefits our patrons as well as
my fellow catalogers and map librarian colleagues. If setting a
cataloging standard based on numbers for staff of a given institution is
fair, equitable, and workable then set up a set of numeric standards and
see how things fall after a one-year period and then re-evaluate based
on the outcomes. I think the only situation in which this might work
satisfactorily though is with individuals whose work requirements are
cataloging-only; for those of us who are doing a lot of non-cataloging
work alongside cataloging work there is no equitable way of making
numeric comparisons and the fair way to handle the expectation is on an
annual basis in tandem with the person's supervisor.

I hope this helps...

Paige